Friday, January 16, 2009

Brotherly Love


Tonight, I updated our family menu for the next two weeks, and also updated our family memory verse. I used to update our memory verse once a week, but it has gone to the wayside. Tonight, I decided to get back on the wagon. I selected Romans 12:10...the boys have actually been having a good couple of weeks, but I never miss an opportunity to get the point of being kind across to them. It must be sticking...Earlier this week, Luke pointed out that I appeared tired, and offered to do the dishes. You know you look tired when your 6 year old points it out...
Today, Luke filled me in on why they are out of school on Monday. He told me all about Martin Luther King Jr and how he had a dream that everyone would treat others equally and that everyone deserves to be treated with respect because we are all people, and nothing else matters. He asked me, "Why would people not be nice to everyone?" Honestly, I didn't have the heart to tell him about the way the world used to be....or sadly, I guess is still somewhat today. How do you explain racism to a 6 year old? How do you ruin a naive child's perceptions of the world outside and tell him that there were...are people that don't like other people simply because of the color of their skin? Why would I ruin him of his knowing true acceptance by pointing out differences that really don't even matter? I just can't do it. My only solution is to just remind them whenever I can about the ol' Golden Rule, slip in a few Bible verses like this week's, and to set the example myself, treating others with love and kindness. I pray their kind hearts continue to grow, with our help and God's love and guidance.

And speaking of great leaders, check out this link to letters of advice written to President Obama, written by kids. You'll definitely smile.

No comments: