Saturday, August 02, 2008

Knife Wielding Little Helpers

The minute I go in the kitchen, the kids want to come help with whatever I'm doing...I hate to turn them away, especially since I know this yearning to be of assistance won't last forever. Here they are helping cook dinner a few nights ago. I had Velveeta that had to be cut into cubes, which they expertly took care of for me.




After dinner every night, we all clean the kitchen together to get it taken care of quickly. Beau's job is to wipe off the table. He, of course, has his own way of doing it...



I recently finished this book called "Giving Your Child the Excellence Edge" by Vicki Caruana. She writes of helping your child achieve lifelong success by grooming them to be creative thinkers, confident leaders, and independent learners, which is easier said than done. I worry sometimes about how the things we say and the actions we make effect how the kids will turn out, and being good enough as a mother to teach the kids without instructing them all the time. I want them to figure things out on their own, and make the decision themselves to make good choices. Then I wonder if my parents and the parents of generations before worried as much as I worry...I've never asked my parents, or my grandparents, for that matter, if they worried about how their children would turn out. Maybe in the past there wasn't so much to worry about. I don't guess it really matters in the grand scheme of things...perhaps I'm just worrying about worrying too much...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You are a great mom! Worrying is a natural part of mothering.
Love the pictures...however my kids will not be seeing the one of Beau wiping down the table. HAHA!