Thursday, September 03, 2009

Labor of Love

In honor of the upcoming Labor Day weekend, I copied this from Rocks in My Dryer

How long were your labors?

Kid #1, from about 2:00am when I thought I just had gas to around 6:26am when Cutie Pie arrived
Kid #2, from when they started the Pitocin at 7:00am to 9:23am when Pot Pie was born
Kid #3, from about 11:00am when I was informed that there were two legs hanging out and Pumpkin Pie entered the world at 1:26pm

How did you know you were in labor?

Kid #1, severe pain...that I thought was gas...
Kid #2, when the Pitocin kicked in the severe pain that felt like gas...but this time I knew what it was.
Kid #3, the nurses told me I was...

Where did you deliver?

Kid #1, Claremore Regional
Kid #2, Claremore Regional
Kid #3, St John

Drugs?

Kid #1, nope...labored mostly at home and got to the hospital too late
Kid #2, figured I did it just fine without the epidural the first time and decided I could do it without it.
Kid #2, Yes...my first epidural. He was breach.

C-section?

Almost, with Kid #3...he was breach, but then an ultrasound showed he was in the perfect position to just slide out, feet first, with his hands over his head and umbilical cord swung over his shoulder. That's what happens when you give birth to a 1 pound, 6 ounce baby...

Who delivered?

Kid #1, Dr. Knifechief...at the time he wasn't my doctor, but he was on call that night. When he told me to push, I pushed as hard as I thought I could, and he said in what I thought was a condescending voice, "You're going to have to push better than that..."

Kid #2, Dr. Knifechief...this time, I chose him as my doc. They started the Pitocin and he ran to get coffee, but he didn't quite make it and had to come back so I could deliver.

Kid #3, Dr. Stewart...again, not my doctor, but when your water breaks at 22 weeks, they bring in the experts. He's an amazing paranatologist, and if I were to do it again, he's the only one I would trust.

But I'm not doing it again.

Ever. Period.


If you want to play along with this meme, just cut and paste the questions into your own blog, and leave a comment so we can find you!

No comments: